How much does Kosher Certification Cost?
The cost of OU certification is comparatively small, and depends on a number of variables, such as the distance that our representative must travel to your plant, the frequency of visits that will be required, the complexity of your operation and the number of products involved in the kosher program. However, it is our experience that the benefits of becoming Kosher certified mainly increased sales which are generated by the kosher certification program more than compensate for any additional expense. Many clients are effusive in their evaluations after joining the program, and stay with us for decades.
To apply for certification, take the following steps:
- COMPLETE AND SEND YOUR APPLICATION back to the OU office. You may do this online at http://www.oukosher.org, by fax or by mail. The application asks for logistical information about your company and your plant, as well as a list of the products you want certified, and their ingredients.
- A RABBINIC COORDINATOR (account executive) will be assigned to handle your application. This RC will be your designated point person at the OU, and will be available to answer your questions, address your needs and guide you through the certification process.
- A QUALIFIED RABBINIC FIELD REPRESENTATIVE (RFR) will visit your plant to observe your operation and determine the feasibility of certifying your products. (There is a processing fee and a travel expense fee that is billed prior to this inspection.) The RFR will tour your plant and file a written report to OU headquarters.
- YOUR APPLICATION and inspection report will be reviewed by your Rabbinic Coordinator who will advise you whether or not the OU can grant certification. In some instances, some system modifications may be required for certification to be awarded.
- THE RC WILL DRAFT A CONTRACT which includes all of the requirements of the OU for kosher certification. If acceptable to you, the contract is signed and returned to the OU office, and a letter of certification is sent to you.
- YOU MAY THEN SUBMIT your new product labels carrying the ou kosher symbol for our final approval.
THE OU MAKES EVERY EFFORT to complete this process as quickly as possible. The actual time will depend on the complexity of your operation and how compatible the plant is with kosher requirements. On the average, it takes approximately three months for a company to become certified by the OU.