Zucchini Pancakes with Basil Chive Cream
Eileen Goltz | Dairy
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 4 cups coarsely grated zucchini (1 lb)
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 Tablespoons oil
- Make basil chive cream:
Blend sour cream, water, basil, chives, and salt in a blender until smooth and pale green. Chill until ready to serve.
- Make pancakes:
Put zucchini in a colander and toss with salt. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes, then wrap zucchini in a kitchen towel and twist towel to wring out as much liquid as possible. Transfer zucchini to a large bowl and stir in flour, sugar, and pepper
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt using an electric mixer until they just hold stiff peaks, then gently fold into zucchini mixture.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches of 5, spoon 2 Tablespoons batter per pancake into skillet, flattening slightly with back of spoon.
- Cook pancakes, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes total, transferring as cooked to paper towels to drain and adding more oil to skillet as necessary.
- Serve immediately, with basil chive cream.