Wine Roasted Vegetables and Pasta
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- Modified from a Gourmet Magazine recipe sent in by a reader.
- 2 lbs. assorted mushrooms, such as chanterelles, cremini, and/or oyster
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed (about 1 lb. trimmed)
- 1 large red onion
- 8 oz. baby carrots with tops, trimmed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Fennel-Spice Mix (see below)
- 8 oz. bowtie pasta
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cracked peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut fennel and onion into wedges; cut mushrooms into chunks. Place mushrooms, fennel, onion, and carrots in a large roasting pan. Combine oil and Fennel-Spice Mix (see below). Drizzle over vegetables; toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring twice. Remove roasted vegetables to a very large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. Add pasta to bowl with roasted vegetables.
- Add wine to roasting pan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat, scraping up any browned bits, about 3 minutes or until wine is slightly reduced.
- Pour wine over pasta mixture and toss well to coat. Top with cheese.
Fennel Spice Mix:
- In a small skillet over medium heat toast fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and cracked peppercorns for 1 minute or until fragrant, shaking the pan occasionally. Cool thoroughly. When completely cool, grind in a spice grinder or blender with 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt.