Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar Topping
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 1 can (approx 22 oz.) red-skinned sweet potatoes or 3 large fresh
- 6 Tablespoons (¾ stick) margarine or butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 6 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups cornflakes crumbs
- ½ cup (packed) brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 6 Tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and cut potatoes into one inch cubes. If using raw potatoes, cook for 15 minutes in boiling water before proceeding.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the sweet potatoes and butter. Beat until smooth. Add the egg, brown sugar, spice and salt; beat to blend. Transfer the mixture to 8x8-inch baking dish. (this can be made 1 day ahead - cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
- Bake potatoes until beginning to brown around edges and slightly puffed, about 25 minutes.
- Combine all topping ingredients together in medium bowl and mix well. Spoon the topping evenly over potatoes.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes longer.