Fresh Parsley tends to be insect infested. Please check “Special Instructions” below for insect infestation instructions.
2 cups medium diced sweet potatoes (you can use the canned variety)
1/2 cup raisins
2/3 cup finely diced red onion
1/3 cup finely diced celery
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup Pesach mayonnaise
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
Cook potatoes until they are fork tender in boiling water. Drain the potatoes and cool them completely. Soak the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes and then drain. Combine the potatoes, raisins, onion, celery, ginger, mayonnaise and parsley in a bowl. Mix gently. Cover and chill for 24 hours before serving.
Fresh parsley (as well as the following herbs: basil, cilantro, dill, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme) are often used as spices or garnishing. Aphids, thrips and other insects may often be found on the leaves and stems of these herbs. Insects tend to nestle in the crevices between the leaves and branches of herbs. These insects can curl up and stick to the leaf once they come in contact with water. Curly leaf parsley is very difficult to check. It is therefore recommended that only flat leaf parsley be used.
In order to determine if a particular bunch of herbs is infested prior to washing, bang it several times over a white cloth. This is most important when checking oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme. If only one or two insects are found, proceed with the steps below. If three or more insects are detected in a particular bunch of herbs, it should not be used.
1. Soak herbs in a solution of cold water and vegetable wash. The proper amount of vegetable wash has been added when some bubbles are observed in the water. (In the absence of vegetable wash, several drops of concentrated non-scented liquid detergent may be used. However, for health reasons, thoroughly rinse off the soapy solution.)
2. Agitate the herbs in the soapy water, in order to loosen the sticking excretion of the bugs.
3. Using a heavy stream of water, thoroughly wash off the soap and other foreign matter from the herbs.
4. Check both sides of each leaf under direct light.
5. If one or two insects are found, rewash the herbs.
6. If any insects are found after repeating the agitation process twice, the entire bunch must be discarded.