Spicy Pumpkin Pound Cake
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon whiskey or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- Powder sugar for dusting the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Position rack in lower third of oven.
- Spray a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt cake pan with vegetable spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a small bowl and whites in a large mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar a half a cup at a time beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the whiskey or vanilla and continue beating for about 3 minutes.
- Beat the yolks with a fork then add them to the sugar mixture, one-third at a time. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of bowl as you mix.
- Add pumpkin puree and beat until smooth.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- Beat just until dry ingredients are incorporated. Continue adding remaining flour in two batches. Set aside.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into pumpkin batter.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan. Gently spread the batter evenly around pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate. Allow to completely cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar.