This recipes makes about 2 pounds and is great for gifts
- 1¼ cups (2½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup (packed) brown sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon light molasses
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups coarsely-chopped toasted mixed nuts (such as cashews, almonds, and pistachios)
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (not unsweetened)
- Grease a small-rimmed baking sheet with butter.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add the sugar, brown sugar, water, molasses, salt and allspice. Stir until sugars dissolve.
- Attach the thermometer to pan. Increase heat to medium; boil until thermometer registers 290°F, stirring slowly but constantly and scraping bottom of pan with wooden spatula, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Mix in 1-1/2 cups nuts.
- Immediately pour candy onto sheet. Spread toffee to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate atop toffee. Let stand 1 minute.
- Using back of spoon, spread chocolate over toffee. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts. Chill 1 hour.
- Break toffee into pieces.
Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Chill in airtight container. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.