Sesame Rice and Chicken Salad
Eileen Goltz |
- ¾ cup rice
- 1½ cup water
- 2 cup pea pods
- 2 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin orange sections, well drained
- ½ cup sliced water chestnuts, halved
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Run cold water over rice in a strainer for about 1 minute, lifting rice to rinse well.
- In a medium saucepan bring rice and water to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 40 to 50 minutes or until done. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- In a mixing bowl toss together the rice, pea pods, chicken, orange sections, and water chestnuts. Cover; chill rice mixture for 6 hours or overnight.
- In a screw-top jar combine vinegar, sesame and salad oils, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cover; chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Transport the vinegar and oil mixture and the rice mixture separately in an insulated cooler with an ice pack. Before serving at the picnic, shake vinegar and oil mixture well. Pour over rice mixture; toss.