Red Hot Red Onion Rings
Eileen Goltz |
- 2 red onions
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel red onions, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices, and separate into rings. In bowl, toss onions with olive oil. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours, tossing twice.
- Add the buttermilk and mix to coat. Refrigerate an additional 1 hour.
- In bowl, mix together the flour, cayenne, red pepper, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 inches oil in a deep fryer or large pot.
- Remove onion rings, a few at a time, from buttermilk mixture; coat them with the flour mixture. Place the coated rings on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Re-dip coated onion rings, a few at a time, in buttermilk mixture, then in flour, until thickly coated.
- Fry in batches (4 to 6 rings) in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.