- 8 slices Italian bread, cut about ¾-inch thick
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- Place bread, single layer, in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, and orange juice, vanilla, nutmeg and salt and whisk together.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, turning the bread once. Refrigerate covered overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place 1/3 cup butter in 15x10-inch jelly roll pan in oven to melt.
- Arrange bread slices in single layer on jelly roll pan.
- Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine pecans, brown sugar and melted butter in small bowl.
- When the French Toast has cooked for 20 minutes remove it from the oven and sprinkle the mixture over baked French toast.
- Heat the oven to broil.
- Broil the French toast about 5 inches from heat, watching carefully, about 1 minute or until topping begins to bubble.