This light and refreshing soup tastes exactly like the dairy borscht my late Aunt Adele was famous for, but with none of the work. The color is incredible. Don’t dare tell anyone how easy it is!
Source: Healthy Helpings (Whitecap) by Norene Gilletz
- 2 (19 oz./540 ml) cans beets
- 48 oz. (1.36 liters) can tomato juice (preferably low-sodium)
- 4½ cups (1 liter) buttermilk
- ½ cup sugar (artificial sweetener can be used)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- Drain beet juice into a very large mixing bowl.
- Process drained beets in the processor using the Steel Knife, until fine.
- Combine all ingredients with beet juice in mixing bowl and mix well.
- Store in glass jars in the refrigerator. Keeps about 10 days. Serve chilled.
To freeze, pour borscht into storage containers, leaving at least 1 inch at the top of each container.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
- 138 calories
- 1.1 g fat (0.6 g saturated)
- 4 mg cholesterol
- 6 g protein
- 29 g carbohydrate
- 418 g sodium
- 634 mg potassium
- 3 g fiber
- 149 mg calcium