Eileen Goltz | Dairy
- 3 cups flour
- 4 Tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup (or more) plus 6 Tablespoons whipping cream
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
- ⅔ cup (about) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl combine the flour, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the butter and cut in with a fork or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a bowl combine 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/2 cup maple syrup and mix to blend.
- Gradually add the cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dough comes together and adding more cream by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently until smooth, about 5 turns.
- Using floured hands, pat out dough to 8-inch rounds & cut into 8 wedges.
- Transfer wedges to baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake scones until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to rack.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar, 6 Tablespoons whipping cream and 2 Tablespoons maple syrup in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in enough powdered sugar to form thick glaze.
- Drizzle or spread glaze over warm scones. Let stand until glaze sets.