Italian Chicken with Mushroom-and-Wine Sauce
Eileen Goltz | Meat
- 6 large chicken breast halves with skin and bones
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (1.42 oz.) package spaghetti sauce seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 chicken breasts, skin side down; sauté until skin is brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken, skin side up, to 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat remaining 2 Tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions and bell pepper. Sauté until vegetables are tender and mushrooms begin to brown, about 12 minutes. Add wine; boil 2 minutes. Add broth and seasoning mix and bring to boil.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Cover dish with foil. Bake chicken 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens, about 15 minutes longer.