High-Flavor Low-Fat Stuffed Peppers
Eileen Goltz |
- 12 oz. ground turkey or chicken
- 1 cup oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 whole green bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash dried red chili pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth, from bouillon
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sauté the oats and garlic in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray on medium high heat for about 5 minutes, until they start to brown. Begin adding the chicken broth to the skillet 1/2 cup at a time, until 2 cups of broth have been absorbed. Set the oats aside in a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry the ground turkey/chicken with the onions until the turkey/chicken is cooked throughout, and then add the chopped tomatoes, cumin, ground chili pepper, and salt/pepper. Add this turkey/chicken mixture to the oats, and stir the two together.
- Cut the top off each bell pepper and scoop out the seeds and membrane, being careful not to break the peppers. Fill each pepper with the ground turkey/chicken-oat mixture and place in a baking dish. Add the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth to the baking dish, and cover first with wax paper and then foil (the wax paper will keep the foil from sticking to the peppers).
- Bake the stuffed peppers for 30 minutes.