Green Chili Corn Bread
From about.com |
- 3 poblano chilies
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- Char chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop chilies.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter 9x5x2-3/4-inch metal loaf pan.
- Whisk cornmeal and flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl to blend. Stir in cheese.
- In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and butter. Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Mix in the chilies.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake bread until deep golden brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Turn bread out onto rack and cool completely.*
- * Can be prepared 2 weeks ahead. Wrap in foil; freeze. Unwrap and thaw at room temperature.