This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 small to medium red onion or sweet onion
- ⅔ cup plus 2 Tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- 3 to 4 large Kirby cucumbers or 2 medium regular cucumbers
- 1 large, ripe tomato
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled or cut into small cubes
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and quartered, lengthwise
- Cut the onion into very thin rings.
- If using a regular (not sweet) onion, put it in a shallow bowl with 2/3 cup vinegar and marinate 1/2 hour, tossing a few times.
- Meanwhile, trim cucumbers, halve lengthwise and cut into half moon shapes, about 3/8-inch thick. Put into a mixing bowl.
- Core tomato, halve, then cut into wedges. Halve wedges and add to the cucumber.
- Drain and add the onions.
- Put olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper and remaining vinegar in a small mixing bowl or large cup. Mix and add to vegetables.
- Toss well and let sit, covered, 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temperature.
- Add feta and olives. Toss and check for seasoning.