Five Fruit Kugel
Eileen Goltz |
- 8 oz. medium wide noodles
- ¼ cup dark seedless raisins
- 12 pitted dates cut in small pieces
- 10 soft pitted prunes cut in small pieces
- 1 sweet apple peeled and coarsely chopped
- 12 unsweetened canned pineapple chunks drained and cut in small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender but not over soft. Pour into a colander and drain well then transfer to a large bowl.
- Put raisins, dates, prunes, apple and pineapple into a small bowl then stir in lemon juice.
- In a third bowl combine and blend ricotta cheese, sour cream, honey, salt, nutmeg, coriander, cardamom and cinnamon, sugar and concentrate. Stir in melted butter or margarine and beaten eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture over the noodles and fold it in then fold in the fruits.
- Grease a rectangular 9x13-inch casserole dish with shortening. Add kugel, making sure to distribute fruit evenly. Cover tightly with a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.