Lots of ingredients but simple to make.
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 whole anise stars (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and saute 1 minute until softened but not browned.
- In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch mixture. Add them to the saucepan and bring to a simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove star anise.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and let boil 1 to 2 minutes.
- Taste and add more Tabasco if desired.