Farfel can be substituted for the matzo. I like the cherry jam but I have use apricot and strawberry as well.
- 8 matzahs, broken into pieces
- 6 eggs
- ½ to 1½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ to 1 cup sugar, to taste
- 4 Tablespoons margarine or butter, melted (½ stick)
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup kosher for Pesach cherry jam* (or flavor of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Soak broken matzah in water until soft, approximately 2 to 3 minutes, and drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the salt. Add the sugar to eggs.
- Add the margarine or butter, raisins, cinnamon and jam or pie filling to eggs, mixing well.
- Add the matzah to the egg mixture and combine well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish. Bake for 1 hour.
- You can substitute pie filling during the rest of the year. I use cherry and/or apple.