Eileen Goltz |
- 1 (6 oz.) container mascarpone cheese
- ⅔ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- Chocolate Zabaglione*
- 2½ cups espresso coffee, warmed
- 24 ladyfinger cookies
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish
- Dark chocolate for garnish
- Make the Chocolate Zabaglione and set it aside.
- Place the mascarpone cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone.
- Fold in the chilled Chocolate Zabaglione, cover, and refrigerate.
- Whisk the warmed espresso and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in another medium bowl until blended.
- Line a 9-1/4x5x2 3/4-inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to extend over the sides.
- Working with 1 cookie at a time, dip 8 cookies into the espresso, and arrange in a single layer side by side over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture over the cookies to cover. Repeat, dipping 8 of the cookies in the espresso and layering the cookies and remaining mascarpone mixture 2 more times. Dip the remaining 8 cookies in the espresso and arrange side by side atop the tiramisu. Press lightly to compact slightly (the last layer will extend above the pan sides).
- Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Unwrap the plastic from atop the tiramisu. Invert the tiramisu onto a platter. Remove the plastic.
- Sift the cocoa over the tiramisu and with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, make dark chocolate shavings and sprinkle over top.