Cauliflower tends to be infested with aphids, thrips and other insects. Please check “Kashrut Instructions” below for inspection instructions of cauliflower.
- 4 cups cauliflower, cooked
- 4 Tablespoons matzo meal
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a bowl and mash it.
- Add the matzo meal, eggs and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and then form the mixture into patties.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
CAULIFLOWER (Fresh & Frozen):
INFESTATION: Thrips may be found on the thin white branches or between the tightly packed cauliflower florets. These insects are easily discernible as their black color contrasts with the white vegetable. Small orange insects may at times be seen clinging to the outside of the cauliflower. These insects are easily washed off.
- Separate and remove cauliflower florets from the stem
- Examine several pieces of the cauliflower paying careful attention to the under part of the floret
- Wash thoroughly before using.
- Heads of cauliflower that are found to be infested are difficult to clean and should not be used
Frozen cauliflower should be carefully scanned for signs of infestation but requires no further checking unless insects are found.