This amazing sauce can be made a week ahead of time and frozen and defrosted to be served over chicken, fish or even leftover turkey.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 red bell peppers cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat and saute the onions slowly until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the bell peppers and celery and increase the heat to medium. Saute until the peppers and celery begin to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley, salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes and pour over baked chicken or fish.
This sauce can be made ahead of time, frozen and reheated. You can also puree the sauce for a smoother texture.