This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Eileen Goltz | Pareve
- 6 cups sugar
- 3½ Tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups whole pecans or walnuts
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt and set it aside.
- Blanch nuts in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and dry them off in a kitchen towel.
- Lightly toss them into the sugar mixture until coated. Remove nuts, and set aside the sugar spice mixture.
- Bring the oil in a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed pan to 330 to 350°F (do not let the oil burn).
*Hint: place 1 nut in the oil and when it starts to sizzle, add the rest of the nuts.
- Fry approximately 1 minute, the nuts will turn golden in color, and float. Remove from the oil and add directly to the sugar mixture and toss again.
- Carefully remove nuts and shake off excess sugar, let cool and serve.