Blood Orange Cheese Cake
Eileen Goltz |
- 6 large Blood oranges
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 lb. small curd cottage cheese
- 6 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 9” pie dish or springform pan with some of the butter or margarine (1 to 2 Tablespoons).
- Melt remaining butter and mix it thoroughly with the graham cracker crumbs. Press mixture evenly on bottom and up sides of dish or pan.
- Peel 5 of the blood oranges. removing all peels and with the white pith. Separate into wedges and arrange them evenly in two layers on top of the crust.
- Squeeze the juice from the 6th blood orange into a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract and eggs. Beat in the sugar and then the cottage cheese until the mixture is smooth. Pour the batter over the blood oranges.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes or until firm. Increase heat to high and brown top of cake for a few seconds.
- Cool, then refrigerate overnight.