Barbecue Beef Stew
Eileen Goltz |
- 2 lbs. beef or bison stew meat
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup thinly-sliced onion, separated into rings
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ⅓ cup bottled hickory barbecue sauce
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- Cut beef or bison meat into 1-inch pieces and brown in a skillet in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- Place onion rings, green pepper and garlic in crock pot (slow cooker). Place meat on top of the vegetables; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add beef broth, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce; stir to mix. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours.
- To serve: Turn cooker to high-heat setting. Blend 1/4 cup cold water slowly into cornstarch; stir into stew. Cover and cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice.
- This can be made in the oven.