Banana Split French Toast
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (16 oz.) loaf French bread
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 large bananas
- Prepared whipped topping
- Chocolate-flavored syrup
- Drain cherries; discard juice or save for another use. Halve 8 cherries for garnish; set aside. Chop remaining cherries.
- Cut off and discard ends of bread; slice remaining loaf into 16 (1/2-inch) pieces.
- In an electric mixer beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar at until creamy. Stir in the chopped cherries. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the eggs and milk and beat to combine. Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bread slices in batches, using more margarine when needed. Cook until golden, turning to cook both sides. Keep the cooked French toast in a 180°F oven to keep it warm.
- Slice bananas in half lengthwise, then in half again crosswise. Gently spread 2 Tablespoons cream cheese mixture onto each slice of French toast; top with banana quarter.
- Serve topped with whipped topping and reserved cherry halves; drizzle with chocolate syrup.