Baked Beans with Breakfast Beef and Brown Sugar
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 (14 to 15-oz) can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1½ Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (19 oz.) cans small white beans, rinsed and drained (4 cups)
- 1 onion
- 6 kosher breakfast beef slices (¼ lb.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the tomatoes, brown sugar, mustard, and salt. Gently stir in beans and transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Cut onion crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange in 1 layer over beans. Cover onion with breakfast beef.
- Bake, uncovered, until breakfast beef is browned and beans have absorbed most of liquid, about 1-1/4 hours.