This is a beautiful and delicious holiday dessert.
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- ⅓ to ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 3 Tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and slice apples and place them in a large skillet along with the honey, cinnamon, water and orange rind. Bring the apple mixture to a simmer over medium heat; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with damp tea towel; brush lightly with oil and sprinkle the top with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Repeat, using all but about 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Using sharp knife, cut the sheets into quarters. Gently push each square of phyllo into a large muffin cup, separating layers to the ruffle edges. Divide the apple mixture among cups; sprinkle the top with almonds and brush remaining oil over ruffled edges of phyllo.
- Bake until pastry is light golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly on rack.
- Serve warm.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled.