Apple Raisin Strudels with Vanilla Cream
Gourmet (February 1992) |
Pareve or Dairy
- For the strudels:
- ½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 7½ Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 1½ lbs. tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, quartered, and sliced thin crosswise
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 (17x12-inch) sheets of phyllo dough
- Confectioners' sugar
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup well-chilled heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small skillet cook the bread crumbs in 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter over moderate heat, stirring, until they are golden and transfer them to a large bowl.
- To the bread crumbs add the apples, the granulated sugar, the raisins, and the cinnamon and toss the mixture well.
- On a work surface arrange an 18-inch-long-piece of wax paper with long side facing you, cover it with 1 sheet of the phyllo, and brush the phyllo lightly with some of the remaining butter, melted. Layer 5 more sheets of the phyllo over the first sheet in the same manner, brushing each sheet lightly with some of the melted butter.
- Mound half the apple mixture evenly along the long side facing you, leaving a 2-inch border at each end.
- Using the wax paper as a guide and rolling away from you, roll up the strudel tightly and, with the seam side down, fold the ends under to enclose the filling.
- Transfer the strudel carefully to a lightly buttered jelly-roll pan and brush it with some of the remaining melted butter.
- Make another strudel with the remaining phyllo, melted butter, and apple filling in the same manner and transfer it to the jelly-roll pan.
- Bake the strudels in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until they are golden, and let them cool to warm in the pan on the rack. The strudels may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered loosely at room temperature. Reheat the strudels in a preheated 400°F. oven for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the strudels with slotted spatulas carefully to serving platters and dust them with the confectioners’ sugar.
- Make the whipped cream:In a chilled bowl with an electric mixer beat the heavy cream, the confectioners’ sugar, and the vanilla until the mixture holds soft peaks and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve the strudels warm, sliced diagonally, with the whipped cream.