Apple Raisin Bread
Eileen Goltz |
- This amazing cake contains brown sugar, raisins, chopped pecans, apples, cinnamon, and oatmeal.
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed, divided
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup melted shortening or oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan combine the chopped apples, water, and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the apples are almost tender and then cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, oatmeal, raisins, and pecans; stir in the cooled apple mixture, eggs, remaining brown sugar, and the oil. Mix together until just moistened.
- Bake in a 10-inch bunt pan for about 40 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before removing for the pan.
- Serve the bread warm or cold.
- The bread may be lightly frosted with a mixture of 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 or 3 teaspoons of warm water.