My neighbor Annie makes this cake for book club every other month and there are never any leftovers.
- Softened unsalted butter, as needed
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten with a fork
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- Lightly butter a 9x13x2-inch cake pan and line the bottom with a piece of parchment or wax paper. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, molasses, and crystallized ginger. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
- Whisk the molasses mixture into the flour mixture until evenly combined.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Whisk the hot water into the batter until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake in the center of the oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.