The Kosher Tidbits radio program of the Orthodox Union’s Kashruth Division has added three new presentations to the 40 already recorded exploring the technicalities of kosher law. The segments on wine, eggs, and bakers and cooks are intended to explain the finer points of kashruth to students of all ages; rabbis and scholars; and the wider kosher-keeping audience.
Kosher Tidbits, a comprehensive series of 15-minute broadcasts on a wide variety of topics, can be heard on oukosher.org. The three new presentations are now available online.
“It is gratifying to know that OU Kosher’s renowned experts are now able to share their knowledge and experience with a world-wide audience through OU Radio, and to allow an ever growing audience to appreciate the intricacies of all aspects of kashruth certification while gaining a deeper appreciation for OU Kosher’s highest standards,” declared Rabbi Dr. Eliyahu Safran, Senior Rabbinic Coordinator and Vice President of Communications and Marketing of OU Kosher.
The presentations are as follows:
- Let’s Take a Look at Bakers and Cooks, with Rabbi Yisroel Belsky, Senior Halachic Consultant, OU Kashrut Division; Rosh Yeshiva of New York’s Yeshiva Torah V’Da’as. Ever wonder what part of kosher supervision takes the most effort? The answer will surprise you! Rabbi Belsky explores the laws and technology underlying Bishul Yisroel and Pas Yisroel foods. This distinguished expert’s par excellence presentation is a must-hear!
- L’Chaim! Behind-the-Scenes at Kosher Wine-Making, with Rabbi Nachum Rabinowitz, Rabbinic Coordinator. Wine is a simple pleasure of — life — and so complicated to produce! Join Rabbi Rabinowitz, who has extensive wine production experience, as he examines the numerous strictures implemented for the manufacture of kosher wine and grape juice. You’ll never look at that glass the same way again.
- Cracking the Mysteries of the Egg, with Rabbi Aharon Brun-Kestler, Rabbinic Coordinator. Scramble ‘em, fry ‘em — there’s almost no limit to how you can eat an egg! But can I eat it if I see a blood spot? Rabbi Brun-Kestler shares his halachic and technical knowledge as he discusses this staple of breakfast.
Segments of Kosher Tidbits that have already been recorded include:
- Rabbi Gavriel Price, Kosher Vinegar: Where Divine Revelation Meets Ethanol Fermentation.
- Rabbi Menachem Adler, Kosher “K“atalysts: The “Inz” and Outs of Enzymes.
- Rabbi Yisroel Belsky, Mezonos Bread: Easy Meal-or Enduring Myth?
- Rabbi Donneal Epstein, Let’s “Ex-salmon” the Kashrus of Fish
- Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer, Got (Powdered) Milk (Protein)?
- Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer, Kosher Cheese: Overcoming the Hurdles for the Milk that Curdles: Parts 1 & 2
- Rabbi Yisroel Bendelstein, The “Hole” Truth: Together, Bagels and the OU
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter, Hafrashas Challah on the Industrial Scale
- Rabbi Eliyahu W. Ferrell, Kosher Chemical Manufacture: A Serious Matter
- Rabbi Moshe Zywica, Kosher Flavor Manufacture: A “Holy” Satisfying Process
- Rabbi Howard Katzenstein, Now WE See It, Now YOU Don’t
- Rabbi Howard Katzenstein, How to Be a Savvy Consumer
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter, Kosherizing Utensils Parts 1 & 2
- Rabbi Yisroel Belsky, Vegetable Inspection: An Halachic and Historical Perspective
- Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer, Kosher Yogurt: An Uplifting Cultural Experience
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter, Avoiding the Arthropods: The Story of Certified Vegetables
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter, Tuna Fish: “Can” It Be Kosher?
- Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer, Frozen Desserts-Part I – Kosher Ice Cream: Cold Facts about a Hot Topic
- Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer, Frozen Desserts-Part II – Ices and Sorbets: A “Sure Bet” for Kashruth Challenges
- Rabbi Moshe Elefant, The Illegal OU: Now We See It, Now YOU Don’t
- Rabbi Shmuel Singer, Much More than Matzah: The News for Passover 2006
- Rabbi Avrohom Gordimer, As the World Churns: Aspects of Kosher Butter Production
- Rabbi Yisroel Meir Paretzky, What’s Cooking in the Baking Industry?
- Rabbi Yisroel Belsky, Over-the-Counter Medicine: Don’t Over-look Kashruth!
- Rabbi Chaim Goldberg, YOU Can Be A Savvy Kosher Consumer!
- Rabbi David Cohen, Bishul Akum: Fit for a King – or Just for King Kong?
- Rabbi David Cohen, Bishul Akum: The Written Law About What’s Eaten Raw
- Rabbi David Gorelik, Trix Of The Trade: The Production Of Kosher Cereals
- Rabbi Yisroel Bendelstein, Are You Fluent in Kosher?
- Rabbi Yisroel Bendelstein, Of Factories and Faith: Seeing the Hand of G-d
- Rabbi Chaim Goldberg, “All Cods Are Kosher” – and Other Common Mistakes!
- Rabbi Dov Schreier, The Restaurant: What Should the Certificate Certify?
- Rabbi Yaakov Luban, The OU-D Symbol: Is the Product More or Less Dairy?
- Rabbi Eliyahu W. Ferrell, Yours, Mine, and Hours: Waiting Between Milk and Meat
- Rabbi Yisroel Bendelstein, Ingredient Panels (on packaging): Unraveling the Mysteries
A full and continuously updated listing of Kosher Tidbits presentations can be found on http://www.oukosher.org.
For more information on future segments contact Rabbi Dr. Safran, at 212-613-8115 or Rabbi Eliyahu Ferrell, Rabbinic Coordinator.