*Depending on what type of broth you use you can make this soup dairy or meat or pareve and all the variations are equally delicious.
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ lb. zucchini, scrubbed and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or pareve chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup Arborio or other medium-grain rice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion in the olive oil until it is very tender and golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the rice, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about twenty minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the parsley and cheese (if you are using a pareve broth). Serve immediately.