Zucchini and Parmesan Skillet Cake
Eileen Goltz |
- 1 lb. medium zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Very thinly slice zucchini crosswise (about 1/16 inch thick) with a mandoline or other manual slicer.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté zucchini and garlic, stirring, until zucchini is just beginning to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool 10 minutes. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt remaining Tablespoon butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet and remove from heat.
- Arrange one fourth of zucchini mixture in a layer in skillet and sprinkle with one fourth of parmesan. Repeat layering 3 times. Cook skillet cake over moderate heat until bottom of cake is well browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Slide cake onto a large flat plate, then place skillet over cake and, holding plate firmly, invert cake back into skillet. Cook cake, shaking skillet frequently to prevent sticking, until underside is browned, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Slide cake onto a platter to serve.