This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Winter Squash and Chicken Tzimmes
Eileen Goltz |
- 9 cups cubed peeled butternut, buttercup or Hubbard squash
- 1 cup small pitted prunes
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 to 10 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 to 4 lbs.), trimmed
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thinly slice the shallots and separate into rings.
- In a large bowl combine the squash, prunes, garlic, shallots, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and mix well. Transfer to a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and place on top of the vegetables.
- In a bowl combine the broth, orange zest and juice and pour it over the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, basting often, approx. 1 hour.