Warm Spinach Parmesan Dip
Eileen Goltz | Dairy
- 2 Tablespoons (¼ stick) butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1¾ cups chopped onion
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup pareve chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 (10-oz.) package ready-to-use fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup (packed) grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Baguette slices, toasted
- In a skillet melt the butter with the oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the pareve stock and cream. When all the liquid is added bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Stir in the spinach, cheese, sour cream and cayenne (the spinach will wilt so don’t worry). Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer dip to serving bowl. Serve warm (and immediately).