Make a big potful—it’s even better the next day, reheated.
- 2 carrots
- 1 large potato
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup canned tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ¼ lb. mushrooms or 1 small can mushrooms
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon soup powder
- Salt and pepper
- You can dice all the vegetables with a knife or thrown them all in the food processor and shred. Shredding makes a thicker soup.
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for at least one hour.