Modified from Bon Appetit, June 2000.
- 4 lbs. ripe peaches (about 8 cups)
- ½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2-crust pie crust recipe divided in half
- Whipping cream or nondairy substitute (for glaze)
- Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Peel, pit, and cut peaches into thin slices. Combine with 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour and cardamom in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; discard bean.
- Toss to blend well. Let stand until dry ingredients are moistened, about 15 minutes.
- Roll out 1 pie-crust portion on lightly floured surface to a 12-1/2-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch pie dish. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch.
- Spoon peach filling into crust, mounding slightly in center.
- Roll out second pie-crust disk to 12-inch round. Drape crust over filling. Trim overhang to 3/4 inch. Fold edge of top and bottom crusts under, pressing to seal. Crimp edges decoratively.
- Cut 4 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Brush crust lightly with whipping cream or non dairy substitute. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet. Bake 45 minutes.
- Cover crust edges with foil to prevent over browning.
- Continue to bake until crust is golden and juices bubble thickly, about 1 hour longer.
- Cool completely on rack.