This recipe is kosher for Passover.
Turkey Legs with Vegetables
Eileen Goltz |
- 2 to 3 lbs. turkey legs with or without thighs
- ½ a lemon
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1 cup finely-chopped onion
- ¼ cup margarine
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 3 ribs celery
- 2 potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If thighs are attached, cut away from the legs.
- Rub turkey pieces with the half lemon. Mix 1 teaspoon of the salt with the pepper, garlic powder, and thyme; rub over surface of turkey pieces.
- Cut the celery, carrot, potato, and sweet potato into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a heavy skillet, melt margarine over medium-low heat. Saute onion in hot margarine until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrot pieces, celery, potato, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, coating with the margarine and onion mixture.
- Spread the vegetables evenly in a greased or sprayed 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Top with turkey pieces in a single layer.
- Heat wine in a saucepan just to the boiling point; pour over turkey.
- Bake, uncovered for 1-1/2 hours, or until turkey pieces are tender and juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
If turkey is becoming too browned, cover with foil.