Pureed red bell peppers are the base for a rich red wine sauce.
- 1 can (9 oz.) tuna, drained and broken into chunks
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper (about 2 peppers)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup pareve chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup water chestnuts
- 1 red bell pepper, slivered and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, slivered and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup julienne-strip carrots
- 2 cups cooked hot pasta or rice
- In a skillet, saute the chopped bell pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
- In a blender or food processor bowl, place vegetable mixture; cover and process until pureed.
- Return the sauce pan and stir in the wine, pareve vegetable or chicken broth, sugar and pepper. Mix well and keep warm over a low heat.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, blanch the red pepper and carrots until they are crisp tender. Stir steamed vegetables and water chestnuts into sauce. Add the tuna and cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve the tuna and sauce over pasta.