- Scallions (green onions) require inspection for insect infestation. Please see “Kashrut Instructions” below for instructions on checking for insect infestation.
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 scallion
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon dry Sherry
- ¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Mince scallion and combine in a medium bowl with all ingredients except sesame seeds. Chill until beginning to firm, about 30 minutes. Using spatula as aid, shape mixture into ball in bowl.
- Place sesame seeds in shallow dish. Place cheese ball on seeds and roll around to coat completely.*
- * The cheese ball can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
INFESTATION: Green onions, also referred to as scallions, have a white base that develops into a bulb. Its long, straight green shoots branch forth from the bulb. Light green or brown thrips may occasionally be found between the green branches where they protrude from the bulb. Less frequently, they can be found on the outside or inside of the long green shoots.
- A vertical cut should be made from the top of the scallion’s green shoot to the bottom of the bulb. Examine three scallions from each bunch, paying careful attention to the area between the branches that protrude from the bulb.
- If no insects are found, wash thoroughly under a heavy stream of water or power hose and use.
- If insects are found in a scallion, scallion must be discarded.