Tilapia with Jalapeno Cheese Sauce
Eileen Goltz |
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 4 tilapia filets
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Few drops hot pepper sauce, to taste or a dash of ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- Jalapeno pepper rings
- Nacho chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine the bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and olive oil.
- Place tilapia in a shallow baking pan sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray; add pepper and oil mixture.
- Bake tilapia uncovered for 15 minutes.
- While the tilapia bakes, melt butter or margarine in saucepan. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, stirring until sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Pour the sauce over the tilapia.
- Continue baking, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until fish is done and firm.
- Remove fish from oven and set the oven to broil. Return the tilapia to the oven; broil just until lightly browned.
- Arrange on a serving platter with cheese sauce spooned over the top.
- Garnish with jalapeno pepper rings and nacho chips, if desired.