This is one of numerous recipes devised by fish-loving Moroccan cooks.
- 1 (3- to 4-lb.) whole fish such as red snapper, sea bass, striped bass, or trout, cleaned but head and tail intact
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine the cilantro, scallions, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stuff half of the cilantro mixture into the fish and secure with toothpicks.
- Place the fish in a baking dish large enough to fit it and spread the remaining cilantro mixture over top.
- Cover with the tomatoes, potatoes, and carrots. Drizzle with the oil, then add the water.
- Cover the pan, place in the oven, and bake until done (about 35 minutes for 3 pounds; 45 minutes for 4 pounds).
- Remove from the oven and let stand in the cooking liquid for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs.