Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Gratin
Eileen Goltz |
- 4 to 6 large sweet potatoes
- 4 to 6 large sweet red peppers
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (or good Swiss Cheese)
- 1 quart heavy cream (or less as you desire)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs, optional
- 2 sweet red pepper rings for garnish, optional
- Roast red peppers over open flame, under broiler, or over grill until skin is charred black. Remove and place in ziploc bag to rest for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from bag and peel charred skin. Slice open and remove core and seeds. Cut each pepper lengthwise in half and flatten slightly. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes lengthwise and place in bowl of cold water so that the slices won’t discolor.
Important: You will need to pat dry potatoes before placing them in baking dish.
- Grate cheese with box grater using a coarse grate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until needed. Slightly cooled cheese is easier to handle.
- Butter 13 X 9 inch Pyrex or glass baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the prepared baking dish, layer sweet potatoes on bottom trying to cover entire area. Salt and Pepper the top of the potatoes.
- Next, layer sweet red peppers over sweet potatoes, again trying to cover the entire area. Salt and Pepper red peppers.
- Next, layer grated Gruyere cheese (or good Swiss Cheese) over sweet red peppers.
- Continue layering in this order until you reach almost top of baking dish. Do not forget to salt and pepper each layer of potatoes and peppers.
- Pour heavy cream over entire area. Reserve enough cheese to completely cover top so that it can melt and turn a golden brown. Optionally, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and sweet red pepper rings.
- Bake gratin for 50 to 60 minutes until bubbly and golden brown in a 350°F oven.
(Just a suggestion , try having drip tray under baking dish in case of boil over) If top is not as brown as you would like, but potatoes are cooked (test with skewer or fork), place under broiler for a few minutes.
- Remove when done and let rest for 15 minutes. This dish will be very hot when removed so be careful.