Super Simple Chocolate Cake
Eileen Goltz |
Pareve or Dairy
- Make the frosting 4 hours ahead of time
- 3 cups (18 oz.) milk or semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups sour cream or non dairy substitute, at room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1½ sticks (¾ cup) butter or margarine (not spread), at room temperature
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Make the Frosting: Melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Immediately whisk in sour cream. Scrape into a metal bowl. Refrigerate, stirring a few times, until thick enough to spread (may take up to 4 hours). Makes 3-1/4 cups.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed, combine all the cake ingredients and beat ingredients just until blended. Increase mixer speed to high and beat 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl a few times. Divide batter between prepared pans. Spread evenly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Turn out on rack, invert and cool completely.
- To frost: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer. Frost sides and top with remaining frosting.
- The cake layers can be wrapped well and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
- Make the frosting about 4 hours before you plan to ice the cake, so it has time to chill to spreading consistency.