This updated version of the classic has just enough zing to may your taste buds stand up and take notice.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ lbs. ground turkey
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1¼ cups ale or beer
- ¾ cup bottled chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chilies
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 6 sourdough rolls, split, toasted
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce or packaged garden salad mix
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey, green pepper and garlic and sauté until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up meat with back of fork, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder; stir 1 minute.
- Add beer, chili sauce, green chilies and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in green onions; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange roll bottoms on plates. Spoon sloppy Joe mixture over; top with lettuce and roll tops.