Pass bowls of sour cream and shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes to accompany these Southwest-style meatless bean burgers.
- 1 (15 to 16 oz.) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons plus ½ cup bottled chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Vegetable oil
- 2 hamburger buns
- Using fork, mash beans in medium bowl.
- Mix in onion, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons salsa, cumin and hot pepper sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into two 3- to 4-inch-diameter patties.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Brush barbecue rack with oil.
- Grill burgers until heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Grill cut sides of buns until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer burgers to bottom halves of buns.
- Spoon 1/4 cup salsa over each. Cover with tops of buns.