- 2 cups cold cooked long grain rice
- 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8¾ oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ cup sliced green onions with tops
- ½ cup picante sauce
- ¼ cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
INFESTATION: Green onions, also referred to as scallions, have a white base that develops into a bulb. Its long, straight green shoots branch forth from the bulb. Light green or brown thrips may occasionally be found between the green branches where they protrude from the bulb. Less frequently, they can be found on the outside or inside of the long green shoots.
- A vertical cut should be made from the top of the scallion’s green shoot to the bottom of the bulb. Examine three scallions from each bunch, paying careful attention to the area between the branches that protrude from the bulb.
- If no insects are found, wash thoroughly under a heavy stream of water or power hose and use.
- If insects are found in a scallion, scallion must be discarded.