Rich and Creamy Blintz Souffle
- 8 oz,. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups sour cream
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- Sliced strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or food processor combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, egg yolks, 2 Tablespoons sugar, vanilla and beat at medium speed until smooth: Set the mixture aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or food processor combine the 6 eggs, butter, sour cream and orange juice. Process until smooth.
- Add the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and orange rind to the mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 of this batter into a lightly greased 13 X 9 inch pan. Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the batter and spread it gently with a knife.
- Pour the remaining batter over the cheese mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until puffy golden.
- Serve with sliced berries.
A Note about Blueberries:
1. Cultivated blueberries, the type most commonly found in the supermarket, are generally insect free. Still they should be placed in a strainer or colander and washed thoroughly under running water.
2. Wild uncultivated blueberries, typically found in mountainous areas, require special inspection due to the prevalence of the ‘blueberry maggot’ (worm). Each berry should be individually inspected for holes or other indications of worms.
A Note about Common Strawberries:
1. If the green crown is to be removed, do so carefully without making a hole in the top of the strawberry. If a hole was made, the strawberry should then be cut in half, allowing you to was both the inside outside of the strawberry.
2. Briefly soak berries in a solution of COLD water and vegetable wash. The proper amount of vegetable wash has been added when some bubbles are observed in the water. (In the absence of vegetable wash, several drops of concentrated non-scented liquid detergent may be used. However, for health reasons, care must be taken to thoroughly rinse off the soapy solution.
3. Allow the berries to soak for a few minutes.
4. Carefully wash off the entire surface of the strawberry.
5. Gently dry each strawberry. The may be used without inspection.