Green olives mixed with lemon zest are used in this sandwich to complement the creamy, smoky cheese.
- Zest from 1 lemon, finely grated
- 12 green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 baguette (16 to 20 inches), or 4 crusty rolls, sliced in half
- 6 oz. smoked mozzarella, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- In a small bowl combine the zest and olives.
- Spread a little of the olive mixture on the bottom half of the baguette or each roll.
- Top with the cheese and finish with the remaining bread.
- If using a baguette, slice the sandwich into 4 equal portions.